Character Name: Yara
Daughter of a rebel leader, raider of New State, defender against drones, and best friend to Mason.
Describe yourself. What is your worst and best quality?
- My best qualities are my tenacity and moral code. I have a clear sense of right and wrong and fight for what I believe in. My biggest downfall is my inexperience as this can lead me to be stubborn, not listen to my elders, and act immature.
What is the one thing you wish other people knew about you?
- I wish people knew that even with my tough exterior, I still constantly fear failure and not living up to expectations. I want to be the best raider, not only to make my family (especially my father) proud but also to serve the people of the underground. These are my friends and neighbors. I want to keep them safe and happy, but it is a huge responsibility.
What is your biggest secret something no one knows about?
- I develop feelings for Josh, a New State citizen. As far as I know, this has never happened in the history of the undergrounders. I struggle with not being able to tell anyone about this new relationship, even my best friend Mason. I haven’t had many previous love interests, so the idea of loving someone, especially someone who is a tech head from New State is overwhelming.
What are you most afraid of?
- Not living up to my fathers expectations. He is the leader of the undergrounders and always seems to have things in control. My life is the opposite. I know he has high standards and I want to live up to them, but many times, I feel I let him down.
What do you want more than anything?
- To not disappoint people, especially my father.
What is your relationship status?
- It’s complicated.
How would you describe your sense of fashion?
- It’s whatever I can scavenge. I call it fashionably recycled.
How much of a rebel are you?
- 110% rebel.
What do you considered to be your greatest achievement?
- Breaking Josh’s parents out of a New State jail and defeating the drones. His parents’ imprisonment might have had something to do with a raid the undegrounders conducted on New State Archives and I felt responsible. Breaking them out of jail was tough, and I had to defeat New State’s deadliest weapons — the drones. The drones are half human and half machine, tortured until everything human is gone.
What is your idea of happiness?
- Being independent and self sufficient. Getting closer to Josh and learning if it is possible to love someone from New State.
What is your current state of mind?
- Determined. I’m committed to the raids on New State.
What is your most treasured possession?
- My most treasured possession is a necklace of a bird that my mother gave me when I was born. I always forget I am wearing it, but I would be devastated if I lost it.
What is your most marked characteristic?
- Inner strength
What is it that you, most dislike?
- I dislike life as a rebel because I can’t walk into the sunshine without the constant fear of being discovered and being captured or killed by a drone. The drone program was started by New State to wipe out undergrounders and I live in fear of the unrest between New State and the underground escalating and the drones destroying my world.
Which living person do you, most despise?
- The leaders of New State. Every night, I must risk my life fighting New State’s deadliest weapons, the drones. These creatures, half human and half machine, have only one objective — kill undergrounders.
What is your greatest regret?
- My greatest regret is not being strong enough to defend my way of life and family.
What is the quality you most like in a man?
- Individuality. Joshua, a New State citizen, is constantly challenging my preconceived expectations and assumptions about tech heads and New State.
Who is your favorite hero in fiction?
- I don’t have the time to read a lot of fiction, but I am inspired by revolutionary leaders of the past.
Which living person do you most admire?
- My father. As a leader of the undergrounders, he protects us from New State and leads the fight to remain free of the technological control of the world above.
If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?
- I wish I could be a normal undergounder and not feel obligated to make a difference. I also wish I could change the embarrassing hook ups that happen. Josh showed me the meaning of hooking up—a computer simulation that allows people to live out their fantasies—without the complication of emotional entanglements or physical reality. Let me just say, the outcome was beyond embarrassing.
What is your motto?
- I will not be controlled!